Organized spaces, whether it be in your house, your office, even files on your computer, are much more comfortable when they are organized in a way that makes sense. Studies show people are naturally more calm with much less anxiety when they are in organized spaces. There’s a certain comfort in applying simple logic to the things in your life.
If you put the right organizational system in place it is not difficult to maintain. This process works in any environment but it is important you are the one to put it in place in your personal spaces. If you do it yourself you will naturally create an organized space that appeals to you in the way you think. This is important because it is so much easier to maintain a system that works the way you think. You just need a plan to do it.
Here are 5 easy steps to organizing absolutely anything so choose a space to get started with. It might help to start with a small space so you don’t get overwhelmed. Then move on to more challenging spaces as you get comfortable with the process. Don’t buy anything to get started – you have some stuff to do before you can really know what you need to purchase.
Pull everything out of the space. You have to be able to see what you’re working with.
- it is great to have a large, well lit, flat surface space to work in
Decide what to keep, donate, sell, and throw away or recycle – this can be done as you are pulling everything out.
- Keep – this space needs to be really visible so that you can clearly see what you will be putting back into the space. Sometimes you need to purge more than planned to fit the space (This book really helps to clarify what is something that should be kept. I love it!)
- Donate – this needs to be a container. Something like a box or large bag will work well. When you are done you need to be able to close up the container and drop off the contents without any needing to do anything else with it.
- Sell – ideally this is also in a container. You will need space to store these things away until you have decided how to handle the sale. Garage sale? Ebay? Craig’s List?
- Trash – again, you need a container. A garbage bag is ideal. Fill it up and then toss it out. Done.
Group all the “keep” items with others like it.
Like with Like. Short sleeved shirts with short sleeved shirts, tanks with tanks, that type of thing.
Carefully consider the space this collection of things is going to be stored in.
Arrange the collection within it’s space.
Now, you are left with an organized space that makes sense to you. This is important because the system needs to make sense to you and the way you live so that it is easy to maintain.
There you have it. 5 steps to organizing absolutely anything. Have you tried it? Can I send you a printable to help keep you on track with your process? Let me know in the comments below.
Get the Pro Decor Plan
Get the step by step plan professional decorators use to give every room in the house the professionally designed look you want + free printables to keep you on track!